Monday 26 March 2012

Milk Light in the making

Picking up the project in third year, meant getting it manufactured, ready to go on display at exhibitions. To do this I would need money!

I was encouraged to apply for the University Enterprise Grant for small businesses. This meant doing a Dragons Den style proposal to set up my own design business, and start my company with my lighting design. Fortunately they liked my proposal and I was awarded the grant which meant I had the money to manufacture my light and attend business lectures and classes to learn other aspects of setting up and running a business.

With the money in place I could start looking into materials and companies to manufacture my first prototype.
It was decided that my first lamp should be a show piece to take to exhibitions, made out of Corian by DuPont and manufactured at Interior Surfaces in Sheffield.

I was able to meet with the manufacturers and discuss my design before it went into production. I also travelled to Sheffield to watch exactly how my lamp was being made.
The company also allowed the filming of the manufacturing process.



No comments:

Post a Comment